Monday, June 8, 2009

Work-a-Day

In the past week, I've been working non-stop. I go to work, but when I come home, I usually have writing to do. The work load never seems to end. Getting up at 6am has been pretty rough, but I've found myself being more productive. I get off work at 3pm, but instead of coming home and crashing, I try to stay awake and get things done. It's amazing the things you can accomplish if you wake up before noon every day! I had to work yesterday and I am guaranteed work until Wednesday, then who knows what. The job has been fairly easy, but takes some concentration. Basically what I do all day is fill t-shirts orders that are shipped all over the world. I'm always amazed how many shirts are being shipped to Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. How do these countries know about the company? I'm on my feet all day constantly walking around. Sometimes I get to pack the orders, which at least lets me be stationary. The job is exhausting, but it's much better than being chained to a computer all day, and I suppose I'm getting good exercise. I can wear whatever I want to work. They blast decent music all day long. Everyone I work with is either in a band or looks like they should be in a band. I think this job is more tolerable than a lot of gigs I've had, but I don't think I could work the early morning shift full-time. I do hope they'll continue to need me after Weds, even if it's just periodically. If not, it might be time to hit the pool and/or beach and start working on my tan. At least I have that to fall back on. I also hope I can get some free shirts out of the deal. I guess anyone can design and submit a shirt. If they accept it, you get $2,000! If your shirt is voted the best of the year, they give you $20,000! Maybe I should start designing shirts. All day long I rack my brain trying to think of cleaver ideas, but nothing has come to me yet. I know I'll never get around to doing it, though.

On Saturday, I went to see a play called "Rock 'n' Roll" written by Tom Stoppard. It was about how Communism took over the Czech Republic in the '60s and how the main character was censored for his love of rock music. I learned a lot about world history through it. I had no idea events like Prague Spring took place. I thought the play was pretty good. It even had a rock-centric soundtrack. I kept thinking how music today isn't rebellious the way it was back in the '60s or '70s. Punk music was pretty radical, but nowadays, people don't protest anything. Everyone plays it safe and I don't know why this is. Have people just run out of things to say? It's a shame, really. Later that night, I went to an air guitar competition. Yes, this is a real thing, and it was pretty awesome: guys dressed in silly costumes performing to rock songs onstage...um, yeah. It was like "American Idol" except a lot more vulgar. I have a friend who is a national air guitar champion, so that's how I kinda got into it. This was the first time I'd ever seen it live. The national champion gets to go all the way to Finland to compete, so it's serious business.

Last week, myself and some of the other Myopenbar staffers meet with a couple of event promoters who we might throw parties with. I really hope it works out. They're already throwing a bunch of events around town and seem to know what they're doing. Now if only we could secure a liquor sponsorship and some definite ideas, we'll be golden. It's just a matter of wait and see what happens, but I'm confident this will be the beginning of a fruitful friendship. I'm not giving up on this yet.

No comments: