Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

Today it was a balmy 70 degrees indicating spring is on its way. Of course living in the Midwest, it still could snow any day now. Usually we don't experience spring here. It'll go from winter to summer just like that. I'm hoping this year, we'll at least experience a springtime, but I'm not holding my breath.

Today is also St. Patty's Day, and I could care less. I know I should be all about Irish pride because I live in Chicago, but it's really just another night to deal with drunkards vomiting in trash cans. Over the weekend, the 'hoods were filled with douchebags wearing various green attire. I'll never forgot how on one St. Patty's day I saw a grown man throw up on the EL. It's turned me off every since. I do sorta wish I would've gone to the South Side parade. Maybe next year. Over the weekend, I saw the Ex-Boyfriend's new play. I thought it was really good, but hardly anyone was there. He was really distraught because no one showed up and because it got one mixed review. I think the play is really funny and sad and thought provoking and is worth seeing. It was sorta weird because during the show I sat between Ex-Boyfriend and new boyfriend. I'm lucky the two of them at least tolerate each other, but the boyfriend pointed out it would make for an interesting sitcom. Later on, we ended up at a toga party. It took me a while to realize the significance of the toga -- Sunday was the Ides of March (yunno, Julius Caesar reference). I think Sat. night was my first and last toga experience. Sunday I saw one of my fave bands in concert, Handsome Furs. They were really great and it was cool a lot of my friends went to it. I've been going to more concerts recently. Tomorrow I'm seeing Cut Copy again. This will be my fourth time seeing them live in less than a year. I think I might be obsessed.

SXSW starts tomorrow and we still haven't decided if we're going. I really think we should drive down there, but a 32 drive isn't all that appealing. If we do go, we'll drive through Memphis, Little Rock, and Dallas. I'm excited about the possibility of it and I feel soon I might be too old to do silly road trips, so I think we should just do it. Everything is set for us to go, so why not? I've never taken a long road trip before unless you count when I was 3 yrs old I drove across country with my dad, and when I was in high school, I took a charter bus with my classmates to upstate NY. But the longest I've consistently driven in my adult life is probably 7 hours. I think a road trip of this caliber is long overdue. Stay tuned.

Sometimes I think the boyfriend is sorta ignorant, or maybe just sheltered. I found out a few days ago he's never heard of nor seen the movie Heathers. He's also never heard of Henry Darger, he didn't know what the Ides of March was, and until tonight, he didn't know that when a dog has a white face it means its old. I think 18 yrs of private school was a bad idea for him. I'll admit there's a lot I don't know, but at least I've seen Heathers. I suppose when these thing arise in a relationship, you can either use it as a means to tear you apart or you can embrace it and help each other. Maybe it's my job to introduce him to certain cultural experiences and vice versa. I still just can get over the Heathers thing. I also found out a couple of my friends have never seen the original Star Wars trilogy. That shocked me more than anything. What kind of world are we living in? Seriously. They should show Star Wars in school. It should be a pre-requisite to get into college. I am such a movie snob.

Tonight I had lobster for dinner. The boyfriend and I went to lobster night at the East Bank Club and put the tab on his parents' account. Mmmm...buttery lobster. Tonight I also surprised myself. For some reason on Sat. night, my car battery died. We jumped it and now it works fine. When we got into the car tonight, the radio LCD screen kept flashing CODE. I looked it up in the car manual and in order to have access to the radio, I needed to punch in a code that was supposedly given to me when I purchased the car almost 8 yrs ago. I panicked because I had no idea where this so-called code was. I feared never being able to listen to my Ipod in the car again. But, then I remembered. There was a certain piece of paper I had held onto, that I refused to throw away for 8 yrs. And guess what? It was indeed the code. I punched in the code and voila, my radio worked! I have to give it to Honda and their cleaver anti-theft devices. I'm just glad I never threw it that piece of paper out. Sometimes, I do well.

In the next couple of days, I have a lot of writing to do. Hopefully I can get everything done before I embark on a crazy trip to Austin. Sometimes I feel like I work so hard, but have nothing to show for it. I guess I have to take the little victories along the way.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDFlQINIgwk