Thursday, April 9, 2009

Road to Nowhere or Somewhere?

This week has been one of those weeks where everything has been much harder than it needs to be. What ever happened to things coming easy? I feel like I have to jump through a lot of hoops just to make anything happen. I feel like I'm always hustling. So, the other day, I was presented with a pretty cool job opportunity. I can't discuss too much about it, but basically I'm being forced to start my own music blog. I wouldn't necessarily use the word "forced," but if it weren't for this opportunity, I wouldn't be doing it. I actually considered starting a music blog a couple of years ago, but then dismissed the idea. I want my blog to be different than others. I'm more interested in covering the underground Chicago scene, the scene that no one else is covering or talking about. I want to spotlight up and coming bands that people might not know about. A couple of years ago, I considered starting my own music PR company, but that fell through. Last year I had two interviews to be a publicist at a reputable record label in town, but inevitably I didn't have enough experience for the gig. That's okay. What I love about music writing is that it's a combination of writing and promoting. So, now I gotta start this blog and hope people actually read it and hope everything pays off somehow. It's pretty easy to start a blog (I've created like 5 blogs). You know blogging is the wave of the future. Print is dying, but blogging is thriving. I think I'm also going to have to get more into Twitter. Social media is increasingly becoming more important, too. I'm skeptical about everything of course, but I have to keep hoping good things will come from it.

Also this week, I got word I have to start helping to promote Myopenbar more or they're going to cut my pay. I have to start trading banner ads with other companies. This supposedly should be easy, but now I have to work even harder. I feel it's a bit demanding, but maybe it'll be good experience for me. I think I'm just being really challenged right now on all fronts. I love a good challenge, but everything is just stressing me out right now. Like I said, I hope everything eventually pays off(literally and figuratively). It's like planting seeds for a later harvest. Either that or I'm currently on the road to nowhere. Finally, another frustrating thing happened this week. I'm suppose to interview a pretty well known musician. His publicist informed me to email him some questions. The musician wrote back saying he felt my questions weren't up to par. In all of my years of interviewing bands, I never had this happen. So, I had to go back and dig a little deeper with the questions. Some people just like making things more difficult than it needs to be. I am also trying to think of good stuff to pitch to places. This also has proven to be harder than I thought it'd be.

I really want to go on another vacation, soon. I don't have any big trips planned. I think I've been really spoiled with Costa Rica and Austin. There are so many restaurants, bars, and shows I want to check out, but there's just never enough time to do it all. I have to do my best of covering all the bases and fitting everything in, no matter how difficult it may seem...just keep moving forward.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Keep truckin', Garin. I'm proud of how much you've accomplished. Not everyone can be a full-time freelance writer/editor!