Monday, May 18, 2009

Manic Monday

For a Monday, today was a little hectic as I had to juggle a lot of different things. I interviewed for a job to be a warehouse temp for a prominent local t-shirt company. I know working in a warehouse doesn't sound exciting, but it's not your typical warehouse. I'd never seen so many t-shirts in one place. I like t-shirts, so it was like being in a candy store. The office is one of the coolest I've ever seen. It's adorned with video game machines, a ping pong table, and art graffiti on the walls. It'd be a very laid back environment to work in (meaning I could wear ripped jeans to work). Unfortunately the position would only last 2 weeks, but it's better than nothing. I have to pass a background check before they'd consider me. Background checks always make me nervous. I don't have a criminal history, but my credit isn't in the best shape. That shouldn't matter just for a temp job, should it? Anyway, I hope I get the job, even if it's fleeting.

After my brief interview, I rushed home to do a phone interview with my fave band at the moment, Phoenix. They are based in Paris, so I got patched in to them. The guy I interviewed had a thick, French accent, so I couldn't decipher everything he said. I'm very excited to see them next month in concert. They even played "SNL" a couple of months ago, so now I can say I interviewed a "SNL" band.

I'm still trying to get a Myopenbar party together to no avail. We've been talking to some liquor companies in giving us money to throw parties for them. I think this is the only way to do it. I feel like we're on the cusp of getting things together, but we're not quite there yet. There's a lot of interest, it's just nothing has been confirmed yet. I wish it was easier. In the meantime, we march ahead.

Yesterday I signed a year lease on my apartment. I've been subletting since September, so now it's official. This is the first time my name, and my name only, has been on a lease. It feels pretty good to finally say I have my own place. Of course the boyfriend is paying half the rent and such, so it's just not me. My mom informed me today that she finally sold my childhood home that's been on the market for almost a year. She wants me to come home and take some of my furniture back to Chicago. This would entail renting a U-haul in Ohio and driving the stuff back to Chicago, something I don't particularly want to do. I just don't like the idea of owning anything that doesn't fit into my car. I think I'm so used to not owning much, that the idea of owning stuff freaks me out. Then again, I have to grow up sometime. Hopefully all will go well with the apartment. If so, this will be the first time since I moved to Chicago five years ago that I haven't moved every year.

Last week, the boyfriend and I attended the Grand Tour wine event encompassing over 100 samples of wine. I'd never seen anything like it. There were two floors of wine from all over the world. Some of the wine we tasted cost over $500 a bottle. We of course got free tickets, so the event was worth it. After drinking all that wine, I didn't feel so hot the next day. On Sunday, the boyfriend and I went down to Hyde Park to walk around. He showed me his old college haunts and an amazing view of downtown from the vantage of the lake. Sometimes I forget how beautiful the city looks.

I have a feeling the rest of the week might be a bit busy, too. I have writing to do and some events to go to. I'm looking forward to the long weekend ahead, and my neighborhood pool opening. I feel things could conceivably go my way with just a little push. I really hope things work out and fall into place soon because I've been waiting a long time for things to come together.

No comments: